How to Split Large PST File? Complete Guide
Want to split large PST file? Look no further. Today, we have brought you the top three solutions from the depths of the internet that are going to help you accomplish the task. So, read this technical article till the end to see which solutions best fit your requirements.
PST aka Personal Storage Table is one of the proprietary formats of MS Outlook to store its data. Unlike OST files, PST files can be shared among users and can be easily imported and exported into Outlook as well. However, there still are some restrictions such as PST files can only be opened and accessed in MS Outlook. Along with that, PST files get large in size which ultimately causes issues like file corruption. This could make users lose their precious data.
Consequently, technical professionals suggest users split their PST files into smaller parts as it helps in managing the files better as well. So, without further ado, let us dive right into the solutions and see which one of them best fulfills your requirements.
Top Ways to Split Outlook PST File into Smaller Parts
- Use the AutoArchive Feature
- Use the Import Export Feature
- Utilize an Expert-Favorite Automated Solution
We searched the depths of the internet and found these top solutions for you. Now that we have listed them out, let us proceed further and explain each of these solutions in detail for you.
Split Large PST File with the AutoArchive Feature
- Open MS Outlook and head to the File tab.
- Next, click on Info >> Tools >> Clean up Old Items.
- Now, select one of the folders to archive, then, in the “archive items older than” box choose a date, and click on Browse.
- At last, click OK to complete the process.
And this was the first solution to divide PST files into smaller files using the auto-archive feature of the email client.
Use the Import Export Feature to Divide PST Files
- Click on the File menu >> Account Settings and then choose Account Settings again.
- Then, in the Account Setting panel under the data settings options, click Add.
- Next, enter the File Name and select Outlook Data File (.pst); to continue, click OK.
- Upon doing so, a new PST file will be created and you will be able to see it under Data Files.
- After that, click on File > Open & Export > Import/Export.
- Now, select the “Export to a File” option in the Import/Export Wizard and click Next.
- Then, in the Export to a file window, select Outlook Data File (.pst).
- Next, select the folders you want to export and check the box for the “Include Subfolders” option.
- To save the resultant files to a desired location, click Browse. Make sure to click on the “Do Not Export Duplicates” option and at last, click “Finish”.
So, this was the second manual solution that you can use to split large PST file into smaller parts. Unfortunately, these above-shared manual solutions come along with certain drawbacks that make the solutions non-feasible for users. Let us have a look at the hindrances.
Drawbacks of the Manual Solutions
- The manual techniques to split large PST file involve many steps which makes them time-taking and thus, confusing for users to execute.
- Going for the manual solution makes the entire procedure more prone to data loss or data corruption.
- To execute the manual methods, one requires to have the required technical knowledge so they do not get stuck in the process.
- Since it is a manual process, there is no guarantee that the data integrity of your PST files will stay intact.
All these limitations make the above-mentioned manual solutions incredibly risky and thus non-feasible for users. Now, let us move on and see what experts suggest to accomplish the task.
Split Large PST File – The Expert Way
Last but not least we have the automated solution recommended by numerous technical experts. The TaskManagerFix Outlook PST Splitter is an absolute gem when it comes to dividing PST files into smaller parts without causing any sort of harm to user data. The splendid tool comes with an abundance of features that make it an exceptional solution for users to accomplish the task.
Steps to Use the Software to Split Large-Sized PST Files
- Install and launch the utility to split large PST file on your system. Select either Add File(s) or Add Folder.
- Click on the Browse button to select and set a preferred destination to store the resultant files on your desktop. Click Next.
- Specify and select how you want to split your PST files. For this article, choose the “Split by size” option.
- Then set and specify the preferred size you want to split large PST file in. Click Next.
- Upon doing so, the software will show the summary of the procedure; click Next and the tool will start the process.
And that is all for the hassle-free process of splitting large-sized PST files by size. Furthermore, this tool is equipped with the best of features that are specially designed to make the tool an amazing solution.
Advantages of Opting for The Professional Tool
- Proficiently divides large PST file into several small parts.
- Provides two options to load files; Add file and Add Folder.
- Allows users to set their own preferred option to divide PST files.
- One can use the account as a Standard/Guest User without requiring Admin Privileges.
- Works smoothly on all Windows machines as it is compatible with all versions of Windows OS.
So There You Have It
In this blog, we discussed how you can split large PST file/s. To accomplish the task, we shared the top three methods. In that, we explained two manual methods and one utility recommended by technical experts. Unfortunately, manual methods are associated with some limitations thus, technical professionals suggest that users opt for the above-mentioned automated utility to ensure that PST files are divided in a secure and smooth-sailing way.